St. George’s Episcopal Church, New Orleans celebrates 150 years

St. George's Episcopal Church
Posted May 30, 2024

Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana Shannon Duckworth (center), St. George’s Episcopal Church Rector Rev. Stephanie Fox (right) and Deacon Cindy Obier (left) prepare communion as little girl watches on.

St. George’s Episcopal Church, New Orleans celebrated its 150th anniversary in April with a celebratory service and lively reception led by Bishop Shannon Duckworth and rector Rev. Stephanie Fox and attended by hundreds of current and past congregants.

The service included a baptism and several confirmations.

The church has served New Orleanians since 1859. One hundred and fifty years ago, in 1874, the St. George congregation merged with another congregation, St. Mark’s, to create St. George’s.

It moved to its permanent home on New Orleans’ stately St. Charles Avenue in 1899.

St. George’s is well known for its open-minded spirit rooted in the Christian faith, its embrace of diversity and its feeding ministry Dragon’s Café, which has operated every Sunday without interruption since the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.